Safeguarding Policy Statement
- This church is committed to the safeguarding of children and adults with care and support needs and ensuring their well-being.
- We recognise that we all have a responsibility to help prevent the abuse and neglect of children and adults and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection and appointment of those who will work with children and adults with care and support needs.
- We believe every child should be valued, safe and happy. We want to make sure that children we have contact with know this and are empowered to tell us if they are experiencing harm.
- We believe all adults should enjoy and have access to every public aspect of the life of the church unless they pose a risk to the safety of those we serve.
We are committed to:
- Following statutory and specialist guidelines on safeguarding children and adults.
- Keeping up to date with national and local developments relating to safeguarding.
- Implementing the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Acts 1995 and 2005, the Equality Act 2010 and all other relevant legislation.
- Supporting, resourcing and training those who work with children or adults with care and support needs within the church (church workers), and the Safeguarding Coordinators.
- Ensuring that our church workers adhere to the agreed procedures of our safeguarding policy.
- Supporting all in the church affected by abuse.
We recognise that:
- Children’s Social Services has lead responsibility for investigating all allegations or suspicions of abuse where there are concerns about a child. Adult Social Care has lead responsibility for investigating all allegations or suspicions of abuse where there are concerns about an adult with care and support needs.
- Where an allegation suggests that a criminal offence may have been committed, the police should be contacted as a matter of urgency.
- Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility.
This statement was agreed by the Church Elders on 27 June 2019. We will review this statement and our safeguarding policy annually. A copy of the safeguarding policy can be seen in the church office (Admin room) on request.